Saturday, October 23, 2010

Oklahoma!

Our transit across the flatlands was punctuated by two things that stand out in my mind: fins for wind machines and a truck stop west of Amarillo, Texas where we found the perfect post card (soon to be scanned a published). Actually we had seen the wind machine fins all along our route, but they were especially dramatic in the open plains. A sign of the times; wind farms, and a beautiful one, indeed. It's one thing to see the farms with their windmills, standing like colonies of insects from outer space, performing silent and graceful ballets
in the landscape, and quite another to see the fins themselves being transported. They are huge! Often mounted as a pair on either side of a giant I beam, they are easily the most beautiful cargo on the highway.

We entered Oklahoma at sunset. The sun was at our back, an orange globe that moved slowly towards the netherworld, and the evening was ahead of us, in shades of warm blue and purple. As we drove along with that huge expanse of Oklahoma sky above us, it felt as though we were traveling in the chariot with the universal and ancient gods who bring night to the land every day of our lives.

It was like this until we hit the suburbs west of Oklahoma City, and then on the drive down to Norman, this is what we saw: the gods of commerce in control! Washingtonians would cringe at the unbridled enthusiasm for advertising here. In some ways it reminds me of my early days in LA. I especially like how the big lights of the car lots and other commercial centers came out in these photos taken while we were moving along the highway.





Well, that's it for now! I'll be back soon with more about what's happened after Ann and I arrived in Norman, and other events after that. I've been feeling like every day has been a little battle to keep ahead of the game, but now that I finally have a refrigerator, everything seems OK and I can relax. I will explain. In the meantime, I want to thank everyone for all their help during my move, and also tell you how much I miss you all!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment